Childcare & education 

There are likely to be a few differences in the educational system between Ukraine and the UK.

To ensure that children are in the system, the first thing to do will be to apply for a school through Kent County Council.

Details on how to get children to school are below.

Taylor Wilcox 4Nkoeaqatga Unsplash


Childcare Choices is a useful government website to take you through your options. You may be able to get help with paying for childcare, depending on your circumstances.

Page 25 of the UK government’s guide for Ukrainians coming to the UK provides further information about childcare.


Most children begin primary school at the start of the school year in which they reach school age (five years old). 

Children start secondary school in the September after the child turns 11 and then must go to school until the last day of the school year in which they turn 16. This is usually the end of school year 11.

Children follow the National Curriculum. The National Curriculum is a set of subjects and standards used by primary and secondary schools so children learn the same things. It covers what subjects are taught and the standards children should reach in each subject.

Applying to a school

Kent County Council deal with applications for children to attend school.

Ukrainian children and young people will be offered places at the schools that have enough spaces closest to their homes.

Parents or carers need to complete the In Year Admissions Form for each child that needs a school place and then send this form to the school you would like your child to attend.

Alternatively, you can email the In-Year Admissions Team at with:

  • The name of your child or children
  • Their date of birth
  • The full address (including postcode) of where you're staying

Unfortunately, Kent County Council cannot offer places at schools which are full.

Families with more than one child needing a school place may need to travel to a school further away from their home to make sure that all siblings can attend the same school.

If Kent County Council cannot offer your child a school place that is a reasonable distance from your home, they will make sure local alternatives are provided.

Schools in the area  

Kent County Council provides a schools search page. Enter your postcode to find schools closest to your home.

Page 26 of the UK government’s guide for Ukrainians coming to the UK provides further information about education, including:

  • Special Educational Needs and Disability
  • Further Education to 19 years old
  • Apprenticeships
  • Higher Education

Our welcome pack (available in English or Ukrainian) brings together most of the information in this section of the website and can be downloaded for future reference.

Related content